How to use SEO to get more traffic
If you want to drive more traffic to your website, one great tool in your arsenal is SEO. SEO stands for search engine optimization, and it refers to the process of making your site rank higher in search engines. Big search engines like Bing and Google rank sites according to a whole range of different factors, and the highest ranking show up first when you make a search. By educating yourself on what these factors are, and doing everything you can to apply them to your site, you can rank higher on search results. And a higher rank means more traffic.
When you first research SEO, it can be overwhelming. With so many strategies and techniques, you might wonder where you should start. Some people are so put off they give up before they’ve even started. But SEO doesn’t have to be a headache. Just start with a few easy to implement strategies. As time goes on, you’ll learn more and improve your SEO skillset. Your website will thank you for it.
Or if you’re just too busy for the learning curve and you need results now, you can get in touch with a reputable internet services company to put together a package for you.
Here are 12 SEO tips to get you started:
- Research long tail keywords. Long tail keywords are strings of words that people are likely to search for on search engines. Examples could be ‘how to build a garden shed’ or ‘DIY garden shed kits’, or ‘advanced contouring techniques’ or ‘best lipsticks 2016’. Use these long tail keywords in blog posts to drive search traffic to your site.
- On your website, you’ll have what’s known as a ‘Title Tag’. This is a word or phrase that appears before your brand name. Using a relevant keyword here is one of the most important factors in SEO, so choose wisely.
- Make sure your website doesn’t take too long to load. Search engines hate that.
- Don’t bother using the meta keywords tag. It’s been overloaded so often by unscrupulous people that search engines don’t use it much except to identify spammers.
- Buying links from other sites is NOT a smart SEO strategy. It’s so easy to tell people who are buying links from checking out their link profile, and soon people will be penalized. This could mean your rankings taking a huge drop overnight. But you should use genuine links to increase your SEO rankings. Points 6 through 10 show you how.
- Build audiences on social media and direct them to your website. Every time someone shares, links, tweets or +1’s your content, you build powerful links to keep you fresh in SEO terms.
- Get on Google+. It’s predicted that the user numbers will explode over the next year. If you’re on Plus for your business, its heavy integration with the search engine side of Google will stand your site in good stead.
- If you want to get white-hat links, make donations of time or money. In SEO terms, links from schools, non-profits and charities are valuable because they indicate a high level of trust.
- Get guest blogging! Find blogs with an audience who would find whatever you have to offer interesting. Create some content to add value for them, and offer it to the blog owners. Not only can this directly boost traffic, but it can also improve your SEO.
- Create linkable assets. These are free tools, infographics or premium content that people will love to share with their friends and their networks. Promote these to your audience, on social media, or even offline. You can then also send your linkable assets to owners of relevant websites to share with their audience.
- Make sure your URL is as simple as possible. URLs with unnecessary phrases or words, or strings of numbers or random letters don’t usually do well with Google. A domain you’ve purchased will usually do better than a free domain.
- In any images you use on your site, make sure to put a keyword in its Alt Attribute. The Alt Attribute looks like this:
<img src=”“http://www.yourdomain.com/image”” alt=”“INESRT” />
Implement these 12 simple tips and you’ll be well on your way to making your website more friendly to search engines.